Thursday, October 23, 2008

An American Priest in the Nigerian Church

That would be me. After a process of 18 months I have been transferred from the Diocese of Virginia in the Episcopal Church to the Diocese of Makurdi in the Province of the Anglican Church in Nigeria.

The Bishop of Makurdi is the Rt. Rev. N. N.Inyom, who is also the Chairman of Anglican Frontier Missions there. It has been my privilege to work with Bishop Inyom since the Lambeth Conference of 1998.

The reason is simple to understand, for anyone aware of the theological position within the Episcopal Church. The prevailing theological stand in it undermines the voice of one stating the uniqueness of Christ and the hope God offers for salvation through His only Son whom He sent into the world. That voice is one I use as often as I can. That voice is one I want to increase in volume and effectiveness for the 1 billion 700 million people who have never heard of Jesus Christ. Speaking as a member of the Episcopal Church to others seriously reduces the credibility of that voice.

Bishop Lee gave a fair listening to my request and my rationale and then granted my transfer to the Diocese of Makurdi, Nigeria. There the voice speaking of Christ and His hope is reinforced in breadth and in depth, in sympathy, profound agreement, and evangelistic eagerness.

I'm glad to be there. I will travel there at least annually, will assist in training missionaries, and will support the vision of Anglican Frontier Missions in Nigeria from here as well as I can.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm curious - why didn't you transfer to CANA?

bb

Tad de Bordenave said...

Good question. Simple answer - There are many significant issues CANA is addressing. I have only one. My single focus is bringing to the church the call to those who have never heard of Christ. 95% of our missions resources go to where the church has already been established. 25% of the world - 1.7 billion people - remains outside that work. I want to be where I can best serve that vision.

Bishop Inyom is a leader within the Nigerian church for work among unreached people inside and outside Nigeria. I will collaborate with him in many ways, including holding this vision before CANA.