Thursday, December 1, 2011

Blending in

As a seasoned, shrewd, and wise traveler, I know the importance of blending in, of dressing so as not to stand out.
For two minutes and two seconds, while standing in line to board the plane to Nigeria, I was appalled at my error in what I was wearing. There I was in a blue, button-down short sleeve dress shirt. I looked at all the people in line and saw not one other shirt like that. In fact no other shirt that bright. All browns and darks. I had made a serious slip and quickly assessed my other clothes I had packed.
There it was again - another blue shirt. My black clergy shirts would help me blend in but otherwise... And that went on for two minutes.
In the next two seconds I glanced up at the people wearing all those darks and browns and realized I didn't need to worry about blending in. Even if I had browns and darks. Among the 150 people boarding, I saw three others who also did not blend in. And I can't remember what color clothes they were wearing...

No comments: