Friday, December 2, 2011

The Fulani of Kafanchan

One of my hopes for this trip is to take back some new information about the Fulani and the mission to them. Our church, St. Stephen’s Anglican Church in Heathsville, Virginia, prays for them every week “and for those who take the Gospel to them.” I would like to bring some fresh insights about this huge group and God’s witnesses among them.
On my last visit I spent some time with Bishop William Diya, the Bishop of Kafanchan. He has been a prominent leader in the Anglican mission to this nomadic group. He took me to a vast tract of land purchased for Fulani converts, a safe haven where they could take their cows and their families after conversion to Jesus Christ. I had hoped to return and see how the long range plan for this had progressed.
From what I saw last year, it seemed likely that, under the priest in charge of Fulani work there, this plan would be taking shape. Bishop Inyom gave me a chilling update. He said that the Fulani in that area had been causing "troubles". This had come in the form of attacks on “pastoralists” or farmers. The farmers object to the cattle nomads going through their lands, and the nomads need to take their cattle where they can forage. Hostilities inevitably have arisen over the past few months. Some farmers have killed Fulani cattle, and several farms have been ravaged by the Fulani. Several Christians have been murdered.
In fact, not too many months ago Bishop Diya had to flee over his wall to escape Fulani violence at his compound.
So much for a visit to Kafanchan and the Fulani camp there. I don’t think Constance would give permission.

No comments: