Thursday, June 27, 2013

Five short takes

1. Going through security at the Port Harcourt airport. This was a return visit to try and retrieve my lost luggage. The attendant told me to put everything on the tray for screening. I put down a pen and notebook. She said, "And your phone," to which I replied that I didn't have one.

"You don't have a phone?!!!" said like, "You think you're in Tibet?!!!"

Handsets, as they are called here, are ubiquitous. Often one is not enough. One bishop we were with has six.

2. On a "stroll" this afternoon. I met a man also walking. He looked tired and lost, which he was. He was carrying a bag full of Naira, the Nigerian currency. A man on a motorcycle drove up and began a conversation with the other walker. He was on his way to "The House of Healing". The cyclist said he would take him there for 200 Naira. Did he make it? Did all the money make it? Who knows.

3. Later on the stroll I met an elderly man with a wizened face. We were on a deserted part of the road. He came up to me, kindly took my hand, and told me, "Say 'Jesus is Lord of all.'" So I did. He still held my hand and said, "You must say 'Amen'". I did, and he walked on.

4. It occurred to me that once more I was out, away from Bishops Court, no handset, no numbers of friends, no one who knows me. Not to worry, Constance. I figured that if I got kidnapped, they would have to release me. They would not know what government to approach for funds. Besides, if they wanted to rob me, all I could offer would be my very fine, six-function Casio.

5. Police checkpoint. About every five miles on the highways there are soldiers who are making security checks. These are, in fact, to foil any attempts of kidnapping.

As we were traveling from Port Harcourt to Makurdi, it occurred to me that we give the perfect impression of a car with kidnapped victims: three Nigerians and two white men in the back seat.

We approached one of the roadblocks and were told to stop. The soldier looked in, saw the two of us, then saw the purple shirt and clerical collar on the bishop and said, "Untouchables!"

No comments: